Stands for Get it Right First Time
National program set up in 2017 designed to improve the treatment and care of patients through in-depth review of services, benchmarking and presenting data-driven evidence to support change. Aims to reduce unwarranted variations. Piloted in Orthopaedics and has now spread to 40 medical specialities.
- Hot and cold sites
- Ring fenced orthopaedic beds
- Doing knee arthroscopy only when appropriate
- Infection monitoring protocols
- Standardisation of practice and implants
- Using ODEP approved implants
- Monitoring length of stay
Concerns centralisation of services will lead to:
- Decreased opportunities outside surgical hubs for training
- Increased travel time for staff and patients
Initiative by GIRFT to reduce the backlog of patients waiting for operations and improve outcomes + care. Up to 60% of patients on waiting lists are waiting for high volume surgery e.g. cataracts, Joint replacement surgery.