Breaking Bad News
You are the SPR in Trauma and Orthopaedic on call and are called by A+E to assess a patient who has right thigh pain. The following plane film radiograph has been obtained.
- Wash your hands
- Introduce yourself
- Confirm patient identity
- Explain purpose of your consultation – “My accident and emergency colleagues have asked me to come and see you regarding your leg pain.”
- Determine the patients baseline investigations “What do you know about the investigations that have been done so far and what they were for?”
- Describe the sequence of events
- Deliver the information in sizable chunks
- Give warning shots
- Allow for silence
- Avoid jargon
- Check patient’s understanding throughout
We would like to discuss your case with our medical/oncology colleagues and discuss your case in our local multidisciplinary team.
Whilst we do that we would also like to do some further investigations which include blood tests and imaging.